So, you are either a) currently suffering from a urinary tract infection or b) been there, done that, and don’t wanna go back. First things first, I’m gonna tell you the ugly truth about those Victoria Secret panties, they are not doing you any favors. If you’d rather not wince every time you pee, I suggest you keep on reading.
Let me clarify what causes a urinary tract infection, either outside bacteria enters the urinary tract or the bacteria in your bladder multiplies to unhealthy levels.
1. Do not hold your pee. If you hold your pee for a long time you are making your body more susceptible to harmful bacteria which can cause a UTI.
2. Drink plenty of water AND pee often. By drinking a lot of water you are flushing out your system (literally) and decreasing the possibility of any bacteria lingering for long.
3. WASH UP BEFORE AND AFTER SEX. Please do yourself the favor of cleansing yourself relatively shortly after any sexual activities. Make sure you pee after sex (before you shower), that way you flush out any bacteria that may have entered the urinary tract.
4. Do not douche. Douching sends water and or antiseptics into your vagina to wash out bad vaginal bacteria BUT it also removes the good bacteria.
5. Incorporate supplements in your diet. Whether it’s cranberry juice or orange juice, both reduce risk of developing an infection.
6. If it ain’t cotton, don’t wear it. Polyester underwear traps moisture and bacteria against the body. Cotton is a more breathable fabric which allows air to circulate.
If you take away anything from this, please let it be to wash yourself after sex. I know far too many people who don’t think its a big deal, it is. I hope your bladder health flourishes!